Monday, March 24, 2008

What is a Color Flow Ultrasound?

Today I am getting a Color Flow Ultrasound. This is an advanced version of ultrasound, which uses high-frequency sound waves to produce a detailed image of the body's internal structures. An advantage of Color Flow Ultrasound in the detection of Testicular Cancer is that it has a much higher resolution and the ability to highlight areas of blood flow in dense or soft tissue. This allows specific problems such as tumors to be viewed and measured clearly. Ultrasounds have been found to be a more effective alternative to biopsies in detecting tumors, and superior to MRI and PET/CT Scans as a means for tracking these tumors.

My Color Flow Ultrasound appointment is at 1:00PM at RWJ in New Brunswick. I will be going solo today. No need to take Kristy to this appointment. I do not find out anything today anyway.

I get my results with Dr. Weiss at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey on Wednesday. For this trip I will certainly be taking Kristy. We do this as a team. I may be the one with the physical problem, but we tackle the practical realities of cancer together. We were speaking about it last night and we are both staying positive and hoping that it is not cancer.

Keep your fingers crossed and say a few prayers for us!

LIVESTRONG!

~ Brian Dowd