Friday, February 29, 2008

Guest Speaking in Philadelphia March 14th

Last year the Lance Armstrong Foundation reached out to me as asked if I could help out by speaking for another non-profit in the Philadelphia area. I did not have a lot of information but I immediately jumped at the chance. Part of my Summit personal action plan is to speak to teenagers and young adults on my cancer experience and to help educate them on preventive actions. I was glad to help.

I am working with Hadassah of Greater Philadelphia on their CHECK IT OUT – High School Health Awareness program. CHECK IT OUT is presented in area high schools, usually to 11th graders, to teach awareness of testicular and breast cancer.

Part of the program is a short personal narrative given by a cancer survivor – testicular, for the boys’ group and breast, for the girls’ group. It is presented in city and suburban schools – public, parochial and private. It’s our goal to give students important information to empower them to take charge of their health.

I will be the testicular cancer survivor speaking to the young men at Masterman High School about my cancer experience and how important it is to perform self-exams.

Give my recent issues I think I will have a very good story and message to get across. I cannot wait to help make a difference in the lives of these young men.

LIVESTRONG!

~ Brian Dowd