Thursday, February 21, 2008

CANCER DOES NOT = DEATH

When I was first diagnosed with cancer I remember the first thought in my head was "I am going to die." Then, after a bit of research, I realized how wrong I was.

I can still remember telling people that I was diagnosed with testicular cancer and seeing their reactions. Clearly everyone thought the worst at first, but it only lasted a few seconds as I always proceeded to say everything is going to be alright. It is common for friends and family to think the worst.

Today was another example. At work a guy who I have worked with for 9 years stopped by and said he was leaving the company next week and will start a new position at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick. I told him that RWJ is a great hospital and that my father in-law was there for surgery a few years ago and the staff was terrific.

I went on to tell him that I will be there March 24th for my next ultrasound for the lump I found. He already knew of my past experience with testicular cancer so his jaw hit the ground. I saw he was in shock so I made sure to explain that there are no worries as I do not even know if it is cancer or not. Even if it is, I caught it very early.

Every single person I ever told that I had cancer had the same thoughts. SICK, RADIATION, CHEMO and DEATH!

No matter what the course of treatment cancer does not equal death. Some people catch it early Stage I or II and others catch it later in Stage III or IV. I have learned that no matter how early or late cancer gets caught, it does not mean you are going to die. Heck, look at Lance Armstrong. He had Stage IV testicular cancer and beat the odds.

Obviously we all know that 560K people die a year from cancer, but there are 11.9 survivors. If cancer comes knocking at my door again I know it means I am in for a fight and I plan on winning.