Monday, August 20, 2007

LIVESTRONG Challenge Less than One Week

Here in New Jersey we have been getting rained on for the last 24 hours and the rest of the week they are calling for Thunder Showers. That really puts a damper on my attempt of last week of training. Now that my fundraising events are done I wanted to get in a few training rides this week so I do not get to tired during the Challenge ride.

I lucky to get out yesterday morning before the rain came. I got in a 20 mile ride which I found very easy even though I did encounter a few inclines that took a good amount of effort.

I got a little break in (half way) when I saw a few old friends that I have not seen in a few years. You never know how they will react, but these guys we very interested and concerned. It was great to know, even though we are not in communication on a regular basis they still cared.

I still want to know when I tell another guy about my testicular cancer expereince how come they tend to grab themselves…..always brings out some humor while talking. I certainly stressed upon the importance of checking yourself.

Unfortunately I drank all my water while we talked so the ride home was a bit dry, but I made it without a problem. I felt great and was averaging 17 MPH for almost the entire ride (minus a few steep inclines.)

My participation in the LIVESTRONG Challenge has greatly increased my desire to do more for people with cancer. It feels great knowing that my wife and I, along with family and friends, were able to raise over $18,000 (still growing) for the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

People are extremely generous when asked to support a worthy cause especially when they hear that I was directly affected by cancer, how I found out and how I got involved with the LAF.

During the next few months I am going to give it serious thought to start my own non-profit. I have a few ideas that I would like to see come true (I will post on during the next week) and the only way for that to happen is to do it myself. I think back to the LIVESTRONG Summit and I still remember Jim Collins, author of “Good to Great,” talk about WHO. WHO is going to step up and take DISCIPLINED ACTION to make a difference?

I am the WHO and I WILL make a difference.

LIVESTRONG!