Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Barack Obama's DNC Speech Last Thursday

Barack Obama's speech the other night (Thursday, August 28, 2008) can be read here. I will say that Senator Obama is a great speaker and I thought he gave a good speech, but he did not blow me away. This is not to say McCain will do any better with his speech, but in our cancer community people need to keep the pressure on both of them. Here are two key reasons why I was not that impressed. I will post the same after McCain's speech.

You will notice he mentioned the word cancer only once (as seen below.)

"Now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single American. If you have health care, my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves. And as someone who watched my mother argue with insurance companies while she lay in bed dying of cancer, I will make certain those companies stop discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most."

You will notice he mentioned the word disease only once (as seen below.)

"I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation; poverty and genocide; climate change and disease."