It is clear NJ is not allocating enough funds to help prevent tabacco use. Take a look at the facts.
Tobacco's Toll in New Jersey
- High school students who smoke = 15.8%
- Kids (under 18) who become new daily smokers each year = 12,000
- Kids now under 18 and alive in New Jersey who will ultimately die prematurely from smoking = 168,000
- Adults in New Jersey who smoke = 17.1%
- Adults who die each year from their own smoking = 11,300
- Annual health care costs in New Jersey directly caused by smoking = $3.17 billion
Take a look at the data for yourself HERE.
We need to pressure our state elected officals to help improve the allocated funds and how we spend them. How does your state rank? NJ is projected to be 36 in the country in 2008. There is a lot of work ahead of use.