Thursday, March 13, 2008

Time is moving slow

Time certainly goes slow when you are waiting for important dates. For me that date is March 24th at 1:30PM. I go get my follow up ultrasound to see if my lump has grown and it taking on blood. It has felt like it is going slow, but the reality is it has been moving along.

I have been doing well over the last month and a half since my checkup. I have kept busy at work and home. The girls tend to keep me busy after work and then at night, after they go to sleep, I either relax watching TV or doing some research online to go after more sponsors for Team Down One.

As you can tell from the last few weeks I have signed up 6 sponsors and I am off to a amazing start to my fundraising. The funny thing is I have only gone out to 11 businesses and I have signed 6 of them. 54% signed is not bad, not bad at all. I have plans to get more signed, but waiting to have a day off to work on them. I have to get out soon or else they might support someone else or another worthy cause. I will make the time to get out to more in the coming days.

Online donation chart (to the right) shows $8,141 as of 8:00AM today. That is near 50% of what I raised all of last year and we still have the 5.5 months left of fundraising before the LIVESTRONG Challenge - Philadelphia. I have two $1,000 checks that will be coming in the near future (one sponsor and one general donation.) Thank you to everyone who has donated!

Speaking of Philadelphia, I will be there tomorrow to guest speak to several classes of teenage boys at Masterman High School on the importance of self-exams and the symptoms of testicular cancer. I have been looking forward to this for a long time. There is nothing like helping educate our children. It is all about giving back and making a difference in the lives of others.

As I write this I am thinking how I would never of done this before June 2, 2006. Everything happens for a reason and though cancer is horrible it has made me a better person. Yes, I wish I never had cancer, but I am glad that I am able to help others and make it a positive.

LIVESTRONG!

~ Brian Dowd