Friday, February 15, 2008

Lots of Time to Think, But Staying Positive

The last two weeks I have had a lot of time to think about my last doctor’s visit and my next appointment. I have to admit something, I am OK with everything. I am really focused on work, family and my fundraising for the LAF. Initially I kept telling people I am fine, but I was not sure I was going to be. It does take a toll on you mentally, but so far so good. I do not sit here 24 hours a day thinking of “what might happen.”

I have been focused on my fundraising and this past Monday I started trying to sign up sponsors and I got numerous commitments already. Looks like the first week will bring in 5-7 sponsors. If I can close all 7 it will be equal to $3,500 for the LAF. That is a great first week for sponsorships. People are truly generous and I am extremely thankful! Last year I did not push the team sponsorships, but I still had 7 total equal to $3,600. This years fundraising is extra special and important to me given my current “unknown” status.

Regardless of the results of my next ultrasound I am going to make sure I live my life. When Kristy and I were driving back from my last appointment at CINJ I told her that it got me thinking and I wanted to a couple of things this year. One of which was to golf more. I told her I was going to see if I can go somewhere with friends for a golf vacation. I did not call it a Bucket List, but it is close.

This past Monday I took my first step by booking my flight to Myrtle Beach, SC with my friends. I got a great deal out of Newark $228 r/t. May 14-19 we are going to golf at 5 of the top courses in Myrtle Beach. In past years, I always turned down my friends offers to go because I do not like to leave Kristy, Caroline and Annabelle for 5-6 days, but this year I made the exception. I have to start doing things that I want to do in my lifetime. Most of the time that will include Kristy and the girls, but this one is with the guys.

Kristy and I are also booking our yearly family vacation to Wildwood, NJ in June and in July I will be attending the LIVESTRONG Summit. In August I will be at the LIVESTRONG Challenge Philadelphia and in October I plan on attending the Ride for the Rose in Austin, TX (I have to raise the money first, but I am very confident it will happen.)

I have a lot to do and I am glad this year will be busy.

~ Brian Dowd