Thursday, August 23, 2007

Challenge in 3 days

There are only 3 days left until the Challenge and I have to admit I cannot wait. It is going to be a great day. Maybe the weather will hold out for us, maybe not, but either way I plan on giving it my best effort. I am doing the 40 mile (I found out it is actually 44) and I have people telling me to drop down to the 10 mile ride, but that is not going to happen. I am committed to riding the 40 and I look forward to the Challenge.

I may not be a cyclist but I know how to accept a Challenge. I think back to being diagnosed with cancer. My first thoughts after being told, "you have cancer," was death, sickness, being tired and every other bad thought. I made the decision to take whatever I had coming -good or bad. It ended up being surgery which had me in bed for 3 days and 4.5 weeks of Mon-Fri radiation treatment.

I accepted the challenge cancer threw at me. After I educated myself and started my involvement with the LAF I knew what to expect and waited to see the outcome. The outcome was all good. Yes, the surgery hurt like hell! Yes, the radiation was the worst time of my life. And I beat it! I live my life, love everyone close to me and have a greater appreciation on the importance of cancer awareness.

I wanted to challenge myself with the fundraising and this weekends LIVESTRONG Challenge. Even if I get winded this weekend during the 40 mile ride I tell myself it will be EASY. It cannot be as hard as dealing with cancer.