Wednesday, June 13, 2007

FUNdraising Status

Things have been hectic to say the least over the last 30-35 days. I was traveling in May for 3 weeks, came home and got to know my family, got back to work and started a big fundraising push for the LAF. Team DOWN ONE has raised 24% ($7,091) of our goal $30,000. These funds were raised through family and friends.

This has to be the busiest time of my life and I’m loving every minute of it. I am doing things that I love to do – nothing could be better.

We currently have two CORE benefits planned.

  1. Dinner, Auction, 50/50, Door Prizes, Entertainment - will be held on August 11th 6:00PM-10:00PM at the Bayville, NJ08721 Elks Lodge.
  2. Beef Steak Dinner, 50/50, Door Prizes, Entertainment – will be held on July 28th 7:00PM-12:00AM at the Boys and Girls Club in Lodi, NJ.

Since returning I have focused my efforts on sending out auction donation requests to many national and local businesses as possible. The letters started going out last week and I have already gotten a few responses confirming donations from the New York Giants, Trenton Thunder and now I am continuing to send out more letters. Most responses will take a while so I will not go crazy waiting to see who donates items. I have focused on the following.

  1. Sports Teams in the Tri-State Area
  2. National Brands
  3. Travel Agencies, Resorts & Cruise Lines
  4. Atlantic City Hotels
  5. Wildwood Hotels
  6. Cape May B&Bs
  7. Limousine Services

My fingers are crossed for a good amount of responses, no guarantees, but I believe people will join in and donate for a great cause.

On a local level my wife has gone out a few time and received tremendous support. She has gotten several donations such as; teeth whitening sessions (worth $525), area rug (worth $129), gift certificate from Hudson City Savings, Sponsorship and auction item from Berkeley Pool & Spa and many gift certificates from local stores. People really come together to help out a great cause. We are grateful for everyone’s support!

I have also been in contact with a Pub in Toms River, NJ to see if we can arrange for a night to benefit the LAF. No details yet, but I am meeting with them Friday to discuss all possibilities.

I have also reached out to a local icon in my area. I have a meeting with him next Tuesday to see if he and his team can come to our dinner at the Elks to do a remote for a few hours. No details yet, but I am hoping we can work together to help promote the event.

Promotion of the event is the key. When I spoke to Bob Hammer of the “Have A Ball Foundation” back in May he told me the number one thing I can do to make this a successful event is to reach out to the local radio stations. See if they can promote the event and do a live broadcast. This will not only help with the event, but it will also help get more sponsorships. Once a sponsor knows they will be one the radio they will want to participate. I am hoping that

Fundraising is definitely a FULL-TIME job, but I am having fun doing it. I look forward to raising as much money as possibly for the LAF.

LIVESTRONG!

I would love to hear from some readers. Please email me at dowood27@comcast.net