Friday, January 19, 2007

Making a difference

My name is Brian Dowd and I am a 32 year old testicular cancer survivor. I am a husband to Kristy, a father to Caroline Rose and soon to be a father for the second time in March 2007. It's a GIRL!

My mission is to be an active leader in cancer advocacy and education with a focus on educating kids and adults on types of cancer, early detection methods, obstacles survivors face and practical realities of cancer diagnosis.

In August 2006 I was selected as a delegate for the Lance Armstrong Foundations inaugural LIVESTRONG Summit held in Austin, TX October 27-29 2006. This event, along with being a cancer survivor, changed my life. Out of the LIVESTRONG Summit I realized I had to do everything I could to make a difference in the fight against cancer.

My personal action plan (PAP) coming out of the Summit was cancer education with a focus on educating our children. I have since added to this PAP and ventured into many different areas such as; fundraising, create a regional summit with 9 other LIVESTRONG summit delegates, reaching out to media to start a weekly Column for cancer survivors, created a web page dedicated to my efforts and of course the obvious....created this blog!

This blog will be used to help spread the word and make CANCER a national priority! I will also be reviewing the lastest news in the cancer community.